Sequatchie County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Sequatchie County
0987T12

Sequatchie County is named for the Cherokee word which means “opossum” or “he grins or runs”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Warren County and Van Buren County

E – Bledsoe County

S – Hamilton County

W – Marion County and Grundy County

 

Created:  December 9, 1857                  Map of Tennessee highlighting Sequatchie County

County Seat: 

Dunlap  1857 – present

 

County Courthouse – Dunlap  

 

Location:  307 Cherry Street /  Elm Street

Built:  1911 – 1912

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  W K Brown & Brother

Contractor:  W K Brown & Brother

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Dunlap. The building sits on a brick foundation. The south front has a large portico with four white colored Tuscan columns rising to the roof line. The entrance is arched with a large fanlight. On the west side is a small portico. The roof is hipped. In the interior there is a “T” hallway with a dog-leg stairway ascending to the second story where the courtroom is located on the east side. The building houses the County Chancery Court of the 12th Judicial District. The architect and the contractor was W K Brown & Brother. An addition was built on the east side.

 

See:  The architect and contractor, W K Brown & Brother, who was a brick contractor, also designed and constructed the courthouse in Bledsoe County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Sequatchie County Courthouse

 

County Justice Center – Dunlap  

 

0982t12

 

Location:  351 Fredonia Road / Hill Circle

Built:  1999 – 2000

Style:  Modern

Architect:  TWH Architects, Inc.

Contractor:  C & I Specialty Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red brick structure. The building is located on spacious grounds at the north edge of the center of Dunlap. The north center sections raised and has three spaces between vertical dividers. The roof line is flat. In the interior is a wide hallway with courtrooms along the side. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 12th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The 12th Judicial District includes Bledsoe County, Franklin CountyGrundy CountyMarion County and Rhea County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1857 and Dunlap was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of William Rankin on Coops Creek which was renamed as Dunlap the same year. The county used rented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 to 1912. The County Justice Center was constructed in 1999 to 2000.

 

 

1598t18_0

County Courthouse – Dunlap

 

 

0986t12

 

 

0988t12

 

 

0989t12

 

 

1603t18

 

 

1605t18

 

 

1606t18

 

 

1607t18

 

 

1608t18

 

 

1609t18

 

 

1610t18

 

 

1611t18

 

 

1612t18

 

 

0990t12

 

 

0981t12

County Justice Center – Dunlap

 

 

0983t12

 

 

0984t12

 

 

1618t18

 

 

1619t18

 

 

1620t18

 

 

1621t18

Photos taken 2012 and 2018