Robertson County is named for James Robertson, who was a Tennessee state legislator and founder of the Watauga Settlements.
Created: April 9, 1796
Springfield 1796 – present
County Courthouse – Springfield
Location: SW – South Main Street / West 5th Street
Built: 1878 – 1890
Architect: William C Smith
Contractor: Patton & McInturff
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The windows are arched. On the center of the roof is a large open brick tower with clock at the top and steep roof. The north and south wings are lower in height. The large courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building was rebuilt in 1929 to 1930 when the north and south wings and the clock tower were added. The architect was Dougherty & Gardner and the contractor was J W Chambers Lumber Company. The building was renovated from 2004 to 2007. The architect was Jack L Breithaupt of Springfield and Robert Stacker and the contractor was Orion Building Corporation. The interior designer was Ginger Grand Breithaupt of Springfield.
County Office Building\ – Springfield
Location: 531 South Brown Street / 8th Avenue
Built: 1954 – 1956
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of the city. The building was formerly the Jesse Holman Jones Hospital and has a three story wing extending east from the north-south main section. At the north part of the main section is the General Sessions Court with entrance on the east side. The building was converted and renovated for use by the County in 1996. The architect was Breithaupt-Grand of Springfield and the contractor was James Ackerman. The building was further renovated in 2000. The architect was Architectural Affiliates of Springfield and the contractor was MPACT Construction Group of Nashville.
E – Sumner County
County Office Building / General Sessions Court
Photos taken 2012, 2014 and 2018