Moore County is named for William Moore, who was a Tennessee State legislator.
Created: December 14, 1871
Lynchburg 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Lynchburg
Location: 196 Main Street / Hilies Street
Built: 1885 – 1886
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: P B Parks, John Bobo and W D L Record
Contractor: S L P Garrett
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is a rectangular shape with arched entrances on each side. A cornice runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square wood cupola with red colored roof. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was expanded in 1967 to 1968. The architect was Tom Woodard of Nashville and the contractor was Frank Hise. To the southwest is the old jail.
Note: The walls of the courthouse are 20 inches thick of brick fired in town and held together with sand and lime. The building was renovated and expanded using matching foundation stone from Fayetteville and brick from Shelbyville. The cost of construction was $6,875.
N – Bedford County
S – Lincoln County
W – Lincoln County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018