Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: November 13, 1819
Madisonville 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Madisonville
Location: 105 College Street / Main Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Romanesque and Italianate
Architect: Baumann Brothers and Company of Knoxville
Contractor: Gaylon Seldon Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a one story red colored brick porch with balcony on the second story. A large square clock tower rises above the entrance with clock at the top. The first story windows are arched. A wing projects on the west side. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first court met at the home of William Dickson in 1820. The first courthouse was built in 18222 and the second courthouse was a brick structure. The third courthouse was built in 1868. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $16,475.
County Justice Center – Madisonville
Built: 2017 – 2019
Description: The building faces north and
County Judicial Building – Madisonville
Location: 403 Tellico Street / Hickory Street
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored clad siding structure. The building is located to the north of the courthouse in the center of the city and is rectangular and the roof line is sloped. The building is located north of the courthouse and is named as the R Beecher Witt Judicial Building.
E – Graham County, North Carolina
W – McMinn County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018