Meigs County is named for Return John Meigs, who was an officer in the Continental Army and who was a federal Indian military agent in Tennessee.
Created: January 20, 1836
Decatur 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Decatur
Location: 17214 Highway 56 / Abel Avenue
Built: 1902 – 1904
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W R Harper
Contractor: Broadway Manufacturing Company of Knoxville
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large square brick tower rising at the entrance with clock at the top. The front has a small one story portico with large arch. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1964 after a fire and in 1993. An addition was built on the west side in 2003. The architect was Weeks, Ambrose, McDonald Inc. of Knoxville and the contractor was Hudak & Dawson Construction Company, Inc. of Gadsden, Alabama.
Note: The first courthouse constructed by William Kerr in 1837 for a sum of $2400. The second courthouse was constructed in 1882 but was destroyed by fire on April 2, 1902. The third courthouse was constructed in 1902 at a cost of $645. The building was damaged by fire on January 18, 1964.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Meigs County Courthouse
N – Roane County
E – McMinn County
W – Rhea County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018