McMinn County is named for Joseph McMinn, who was a Governor of Tennessee.
Created: November 13, 1819
Athens 1819 – present
County Courthouse – Athens
Location: 6 East Madison Avenue / White Street
Built: 1964 – 1966
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Galloway and Guthrie of Knoxville
Contractor: Webb Brothers
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a large portico with six white colored columns rising to a wide pediment with circular at the roof line. The base of the building is stone. A wide horizontal belt runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square tiered white colored cupola with clock and octagonal cupola at the top. The roof is sloped.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Alexander C Bruce of Knoxville and constructed by Thomas & Webb in 1875. The building was destroyed by fire in 1964.
County Justice Center – Athens
Location: 1319 South White Street / Davidson Road
Built: 2012 – 2014
Architect: Cope Architecture of Knoxville
Contractor: Rouse Construction Company of Knoxville
Description: The building faces south and
Built in 2012, the modern building is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 2014. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of the city. On the northwest corner is the projecting entrance section with six white colored columns and recessed glass walls. Above is a small pediment. Along the north and west sides are raised section with white colored columns and recessed glass walls. The courtrooms are located along the hallway.
E – Monroe County
W – Meigs County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018