Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: November 20, 1817
Whitwell 1817 – 1823
Jasper 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Jasper
Location: 24 Courthouse Square / 1st Street East
Built: 1923 – 1925
Architect: James G Gaunt of Chattanooga
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building features multiple arched windows and an arched main entrance pavilion. Also incorporated into the design are two story Doric pilasters and full entablature at the roof. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was remodeled in 1986 after fire damage in 1984. The architect was Volkhart Architects of Chattanooga and the contractor Warren Construction of Shelbyvillle. On the north side is the one story County Courthouse Annex.
Note: The first court met in the Creek House at Whitwell. The first courthouse was built by John Mathas in Jasper in 1824. The second courthouse was built by John Jones in Jasper in 1880. The courthouse burned down in 1922 and the present third courthouse was completed in 1925. The county minutes are missing and presumed destroyed in the fire. The builder in 1925 was probably W R Harper who was contractor for a number of Tennessee courthouses.
County Justice Center – Jasper
Location: 5 Oak Avenue / 1st Street West
Built: 1999 – 2001
Architect: Conquest Architectural
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse. The east front has a projecting center section with red colored brick and recessed entrance on the first story. Four white colored pillars rise to a pediment from the second story to the roof line with large four group of windows. The upper part of the building is yellowed colored concrete. The lower part of the building is red colored brick. The roof is hipped. The building houses the courtrooms located on the second story and also houses the jail.
Note: During construction the general contractor went bankrupt.
N – Grundy County
W – Franklin County
County Justice Center
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2012, 2014 and 2018