Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Cocke County
S – Sevier County
Created: June 11, 1792
Dandridge 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Dandridge
Location: 202 West Main Street / Middle Alley
Built: 1845 – 1846
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Judge Robert Hynes
Contractor: Hickman Brothers Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on sloped landscaped grounds in the center of Dandridge and is shaped like a “T” with a north wing. The south front has four white colored pillars rising to a pediment at the roof line. The corners of the building have white colored wood trim. On the center of the roof is a tiered white colored cupola. In the interior, the large courtroom is located on the second story and the small courtroom is located on the first story. The building houses the County Chancery Court of the 4th Judicial District. The architect was Judge Robert Hynes and the contractor was Hickman Brothers Construction. On the north side is the old two story red colored brick jail.
County Justice Center – Dandridge
Location: 765 Justice Center Drive / Epco Drive
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Barge, Wagonner, Sumner & Cannon Inc. of Knoxville
Contractor: Blaine Construction Corporation of Knoxville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the north of the center of Dandridge. The south front has a large concrete portico with four large concrete pillars rising to a wide header with a curved roof section behind. Vertical narrow concrete bands run above the first story windows and along the flat roof line. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the first story. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County General Sessions Court – Civil and Criminal and County Juvenile Court of the 4th Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1792 and Dandridge was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1794. The second and present courthouse is modeled after the Knox County Courthouse in Knoxville. The courthouse was designed by Judge Robert Hynes and the building committee. The building was built with bricks from McQuistion kiln in East Dandridge. The cost of construction was $6,666. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2005 to 2007.
County Courthouse - Dandridge
County Justice Center - Dandridge
Photos taken 2012 and 2018