Humphreys County is named for Parry Wayne Humphreys, who was a United States Representative.
Created: October 19, 1809
Waverly 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Waverly
Location: 102 Thompson Street / Court Square
Built: 1951 – 1952
Style: Modern Art Deco
Architect: Steinbaugh & Wheeler
Contractor: Boone Contracting Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a projecting center section with wide recessed entrance and horizontal windows above on the second story. The east and west wings are lower and have horizontal winters. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1836 at a cost of $6000. The building burned in 1876 and the second courthouse was built. The building burned in 1889 and the third courthouse was constructed. The building was demolished when the fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1952.
N – Houston County
E – Dickson County
W – Benton County
Photos taken 2014