Houston County is named for Sam Houston, who was a Governor of Tennessee and congressman, president of the Republic of Texas, United States Senator from Texas and Governor of Texas.
Created: January 23, 1871
Arlington 1871 to 1878
Erin 1878 – present
County Courthouse – Erin
Location: 4725 East Main Street / East Market Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Burkhalter, Hickerson & Associates
Contractor: Frank Barrett Construction
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has a recessed central entrance on the south side. The windows are vertical with concrete panels between. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located at the southeast corner of the third story.
Note: The first court met in the United Church in Arlington and a frame courthouse was erected in Arlington. In 1871 the contract for the erection of the second courthouse was awarded to G W Buquo, at the sum of $1,440. In 1878 the county seat was moved to Erin and the court met over the store of N O Thomas. In 1881, the third courthouse was designed by H H Buquo of Erin and built at a cost of $7,000 by L J Neville in 1883.
County Courthouse – Erin ( Arlington )
Location: 201 Knight Street / Robby Drive
Built: 1871 – 1872
Style: Wood Frame
Architect: G W Buquo
Contractor: G W Buquo
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has an enclosed porch with white colored arched door. On the hipped roof is a white colored square cupola. On the south side is a one story section with hipped roof. The building is now the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
E – Dickson County
S – Humphreys County
W – Benton County
Picture 1883 Courthouse
Old County Courthouse – Arlington
Photos taken 2014 and 2018