Haywood County is named for John Haywood, who was a judge and the father of “Tennessee History”.
Created: November 3, 1823
Brownsville 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Brownsville
Location: 1 North Washington Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: R A Heavnor of Jackson
Contractor: J A Moore
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Public Square in the center of the city. The east front has a large porch with six high columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The windows are vertical. The building was renovated in 1990.
Note: The county court met in the home of Richard Nixon, the first settler in the area, until 1825, when the first log courthouse was completed. A second courthouse was built in 1826; in 1845 it was rebuilt with brick. In 1868 the county added a west wing to accommodate the convening of the Supreme Court for West Tennessee.
County Justice Complex – Brownsville
Location: 100 South Dupree Avenue / East Main Street
Style: Modern Commercial
Description: The building faces west and is is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located at a former Walmart on the eastern edge of the city. The west front has a semi-circular entrance with concrete columns, red colored brick and recessed glass windows. The building contains the Circuit Court and General Sessions Court with the courtrooms located along the north side. The building is named as the Allen G King Justice Center.The building was converted in 2010. The architect was SpiritArchitecture Group LCC and the contractor was Henson Construction Services Inc.
County Criminal Justice Center – Brownsville
Location: 111 North Washington Avenue / Franklin Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Architectural Resources Group – Robert E Horrell, Jr. and Roy L Scobey
Contractor: S & M Builders, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground to the north of the courthouse in the center of the city.The east front has a recessed glass entrance on the south section and four vertical windows in the center section. The roof line is flat. The building is names as the Brownsville City Hall and Criminal Justice Center.
E – Madison County
County Justice Complex
County Criminal Justice Center
Photos taken 2011 and 2018