Hawkins County is named for Benjamin Hawkins, who was a United States Senator.
Created: November 18, 1786
Rogersville 1786 – present
County Courthouse – Rogersville
Location: 100 East Main Street / Depot Street
Built: 1836 – 1837
Architect: John Dameron
Contractor: John Dameron
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and forms a “T” shape with an east west wing on the south side. The north front has a large porch with four white colored columns rising to a pediment with a tiered cupola above with green colored roof. The roof is sloped. An addition was added in 1870 and the building was remodeled in 1929. The architect was Allen N Dryden and the contractor was E S Glover. On the east side is a large two story red colored brick addition added in 1999. The architect was The Moore Group Architects of Kingsport and the contractor was Barker Building Company of Kingsport.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Tennessee still in service.
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2012