Hardeman County is named for Thomas Jones Hardeman, who was a soldier in the Creek War and War of 1812 and later a member of the legislature of the Republic of Texas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: October 16, 1823
Hatchie Town 1823 – 1824
Bolivar 1824 – present
County Courthouse – Bolivar
Location: 100 North Main Street / Jackson Street
Built: 1868 – 1869
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Willis, Sloan and Trigg
Contractor: Willis, Sloan and Trigg
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Court Square in the center of Bolivar. The west front has a portico with three stone arches on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the pediment at the roof line. There are north and south three story wings which are recessed. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with red colored roof. In the interior, the courtroom is located at the center of the second story. The building houses the County Chancery Court and County Juvenile Court of the 25th Judicial District. The building was renovated in 1955. The architect was Eason, Anthony, McKinnie & Cox Inc. and the contractor was Forcum-Jones Company. The building was renovated in 1978. The architect was Hart-Freeland-Roberts, Inc. of Jackson and the contractor was Morris Construction Company of Crump. The building was renovated in 1990 and in 1992. The architect was Grace and Associates and the contractor was Quinn Construction Corporation.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Bolivar Court SquareHistoric District
County Criminal Justice Complex – Bolivar
Location: 505 South Main Street / Cedar Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Michael Childress of Evans, Taylor, Foster, Childress
Contractor: Bell and Associates Construction, LP
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Bolivar. The southwest front has a high projecting section with glass entrance and silver metal canopy with arch above. The west side is semi-circular. The roof line is flat. In the interior are glass walled halls and skylights. The building houses the County Circuit Court and County General Sessions Court of the 25th Judicial District.
Old County Courthouse – Bolivar
Location: 215 East Market Street / 3rd Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the east of the courthouse in the center of the city. The south front has a central entrance on the first story. The windows have green colored shutters and the green colored roof is hipped. The building was moved from Court Square in 1867 when the third and present courthouse was constructed.
Note: The 1824 log courthouse became the nucleus of a home for the Levi Joy family. Next, Judge Barry purchased the log building house. In 1849 his widow sold the house to Dr. Thomas E. Moore. He made extensive additions including painted weatherboard siding, shutters and additional rooms. His family resided in the house for over 100 years. The descendants of his granddaughter, Miss Jennie Hardaway, sold the house to the county in 1967.
History: The county was created in 1823 and Hatchie Town was selected as the county seat. In 1824, the county seat was moved to Bolivar. The first courthouse was built in 1824 on the Courthouse Square and is still standing on the site to the south. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1827 next to the first courthouse. The courthouse was destroyed in May, 1864 during the Civil War. The first courthouse was later moved to a new site in 1867. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1868 to 1869. The County Criminal Complex was constructed in 2009 to 2011.
County Courthouse - Bolivar
County Justice Center - Bolivar
Old County Courthouse - Bolivar
Photos taken 2011 and 2018