Hamblen County is named for Hezekiah Hamblen, who was an early settler in the area.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Jefferson County
W – Grainger County
Created: June 8, 1870
Morristown 1870 – present
County Courthouse – Morristown
Location: 511 West 2nd Street North / Jackson Street
Built: 1871 – 1874
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Alexander C Bruce of Knoxville
Contractor: George W Folsom and John Lyle
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Morristown. The building sits on a slope with the north side entrance being on the second story. The south front has a two story wood porch with balcony on the second and third stories. The center section projects from the main building and rises to a pediment at the roof line. Behind is a tiered section with high arched windows on the third story. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock at the top. In the interior is the Main Courtroom. The building houses the County Chancery Court, County General Sessions Court – Division 2 and County Juvenile Court of the 3rd Judicial District. The building was remodeled in 1950 and the interior renovated in 1968 to 1969. The architect was Price-Debton Associates and the contractor was Catron Construction Company. The 2000, an addition was built on the south west side. The architect was Joseph A Previtera and Hutchins Associates and the contractor was Wild Building Contractors Inc.
Note: The architect Alexander.C Bruce submitted three plans (option 1: $10,000; option 2: $15,000; and option 3: $18,000). The third option was chosen. The builders, George Folsom and John Lyle, ended up building the courthouse for $21,750.
See: The architect, Alexander C Bruce of Knoxville, designed the courthouse in Loudon County.
County Justice Center – Morristown
Location: 510 Allison Street / Jackson Street
Description: The building faces south and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Morristown to the north of the courthouse. The south front has an extended canopy supported by brick pillars. The red colored roof is hipped. The building houses the County circuit Court, County Criminal Court and County General Sessions Court – Division 1 of the 3rd Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1870 and Morristown was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1871 to 1874. The County Justice Center was consructed.
County Courthouse - Morristown
Photos taken 2012