Grundy County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Grundy County
Grundy

Gundy County is named for Felix Grundy, who was a United States Attorney General and a United States Senator from Tennessee.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Warren County

E – Sequatchie County

S – Marion County

W – Franklin County and Coffee County

 

Created:  January 29, 1844                    Map of Tennessee highlighting Grundy County

County Seat: 

Altamont  1844 – present

 

County Courthouse – Altamont  

 

Location:  1433 Main Street / Pelham Road

Built:  1994 – 1996

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Williams, Inc. of Franklin

Contractor:  Peery Construction Company of Murfreesboro

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Altamont. The west front has a portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small portico on the south side. On the center of the roof is a white colored cupola. The courtrooms are located on the second story

 

See:  When the third courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1990, the county relocated to the Old Coalmont Bank Building at 7426 State Route 56 in Coalmont. The Old Mormon Church at 134 Spring Street in Altamont was used for court hearings. The Old Altamont School building which is now the Florence Scruggs Building at 143 Academy Street next to the Altamont City Hall in Altamont became the temporary courthouse until the present courthouse was completed in 1996.

 

History:  The first courthouse in 1844 was the house of Jesse Wooten located between Altamont and the top of Pelham Mountain. The second courthouse was erected in 1853 and burned in 1881. The third courthouse was designed by the Committee comprised of J H Gunn, M L Nearn, R Smartt, E H Reeves and W J Thomas and constructed by Rhea & Patton in 1885. The building was destroyed by fire on May 3, 1990. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1994 to 1996. There was a satellite court in Tracy City in 1913 which was a two story frame structure known as the Collier House at 50 Main Street, but the building was replaced by the Tracy City City Hall.

 

 

 

 

1002t12

County Courthouse – Altamont

 

 

1004t12

 

 

1623t18

 

 

1624t18

 

 

1628t18

 

 

1629t18

 

 

1630t18

 

 

1631t18

 

 

1632t18

 

 

1633t18

 

 

1634t18

 

 

1635t18

 

 

1636t18

 

 

1637t18

 

 

1638t18

 

 

1639t18

 

 

1640t18

 

 

1641t18

 

 

1643t18

Photos taken 2012 and 2018