Grainger County is named for Mary Grainger Blount, who was the wife of William Blount and the “first lady” of the Southwest Territory, later Tennessee.
Created: April 22, 1796
Mitchell Springs 1796 – 1801
Rutledge 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Rutledge
Location: 8095 Main Street / Marshall Avenue
Built: 1948 – 1949
Style: Art Deco and Moderne
Architect: Bauman and Bauman of Knoxville, Will W Griffin and Shi G Goodwyne
Contractor: Johnson and Willard
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with vertical concrete dividers with glass panels and entrance between. The main building is recessed. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Wheller & Runge of Charlotte, North Carolina and constructed by M T Lewman & Company of Louisville, Kentucky in 1904. The building burned on January 16,1946.
See: The architect, Baumann & Baumann of Knoxville, designed the courthouse in Claiborne County.
County Justice Center – Rutledge
Location: 270 Justice Center Drive / Cambridge Avenue
Built: 2004 – 2005
Architect: Robert Carpenter of Moseley, Wilkins & Wood of Charlotte, North Carolina
Contractor: Rouse Construction of Knoxville
Description: The building faces west and is a one story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the northeast of the courthouse. The west entrance has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof line is flat.
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012