Dyer County is named for Robert Henry Dyer, who was a state legislator for the State of Tennessee.
Created: October 16, 1823
Stokes 1823 – 1826
Dyersburg 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Dyersburg
Location: 101 West Court Street / Main Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Asa Biggs
Contractor: Asa Biggs and local trades
Description: The building faces north and is a three story brown-red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the Courthouse Square in the center of the city. The north front has a large porch with four high white colored Ionic columns supporting a wide header at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large white colored dome, The Chancery courtroom is located on the first story and the larger Circuit Court courthouse is located on the west side of the second story. The building was renovated in 1969 and 1988. The County Administration is located in an old building on the south side of Courthouse Square.
Note: The court first met at the home of John Warren’s home at Stokes. The second courthouse was the home of Elias Dement in Dyersburg in 1826. In 1827 the third courthouse was built on Courthouse Square by Henderson Clark and Austin Parish. The fourth courthouse including the recorder’s office was built between 1834 and 1836. In 1855, the fifth courthouse was built and the sixth courthouse was the rebuilt 1867 courthouse after the previous courthouse was destroyed by fire. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed in 1912.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Dyersburg Courthouse Square Historic District
Photos taken 2011 and 2018