Dickson County is named for William Dickson, who was a United States Representative to Congress.
Created: October 25, 1803
Charlotte 1803 – present
Old County Courthouse – Charlotte
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / Clark Street
Built: 1810 – 1812
Architect: Phillip Murray.
Contractor: Phillip Murray.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on a low hill in the center of Courthouse Square. The central entrance on the south side is framed with white colored wood. The roof is hipped with a white colored octagonal cupola on the center of the roof. The east and west wings were added in 1931 to 1932. The architect was Daughtery & Gardner and the contractor was E E Austin of Nashville.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1792. The second courthouse was built between 1806 to 1812, and was patterned after the 1802 courthouse in Nashville. In 1830, the building was almost destroyed by a tornado and Phillip Murray was hired to rebuild the structure. The building is the oldest working courthouse in Tennessee.
County Courthouse – Charlotte
Location: 4 Courthouse Square / Clark Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Architect: Architect-Engineer Associates
Contractor: Bomar Construction Company.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red-brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building sits on the side of a slope with the entrance on the second story with a one story portico with flat roof on the east front. The building is “L” shaped with a south and west wing. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Dickson County Courthouse and Office Building. The old courthouse is on the north side at Courthouse Square.
S – Hickman County
Photos taken 2014