Coffee County is named for John Coffee, who was a frontiersman, planter and veteran of the Creek War and War of 1812.
Created: May 2, 1836
Manchester 1836 – present
Old County Courthouse – Manchester
Location: West Main Street / Irvine Street
Built: 1870 – 1871
Architect: J O Wright and D S Wright of Nashville and Henry Levy
Contractor: J O Wright and D S Wright of Nashville and Henry Levy
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Public Square in the center of the city, The west front has a central entrance on the first story with fanlight above. On the second story is a double arched window and above is a part pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored open cupola. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story. In 1914, an addition was made on the north side. The contractor was W B Crick.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1837 and was destroyed by fire. The cost of construction of the second courthouse was $8,755. The brickwork contract was awarded to Henry Levy for $2,341.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Coffee County Courthouse
County Justice Center – Manchester
Location: 300 Hillsboro Boulevard / Ramsey Street
Built: 1980 – 1981
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city to the south of the old courthouse and is a former high school. The north front has a glass entrance on the first story. The west wing is three stories. The building has a flat roof line. The courtrooms are located on the third story.
Note: The Coffee County Central High School was constructed in the 1930’s and became the County courthouse in 1982.
N – Cannon County
S – Franklin County
Old County Courthouse
County Justice Center
Old County Central High School
Renovation Plans 1982
Photos taken 2012 and 2018