Cocke County is named for William Cocke, who was one of Tennessee’s first United Statwes Senators.
Created: October 9, 1797
Newport 1797 – present
County Courthouse – Newport
Location: 111 Court Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Architect: Manley and Young of Knoxville
Contractor: H C Fonde & Sons
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The central entrances on the south and north sides are framed with stone. The south front has five large arched windows on the second story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by J F Bauman and constructed by C J Randolph in 1886. The building was destroyed by fire in 1930.
S – Haywood County, North Carolina
Photos taken 2010\