Bledsoe County is named for Anthony Bledsoe, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War, a surveyor and an early settler in Sumner County.
Created: November 6, 1801
Madison 1801 – 1816
Pikeville 1816 – present
County Courthouse – Pikeville
Location: 116 Main Street / Spring Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Architect: W K Brown & Brother
Contractor: W K Brown & Brother
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has a central portico with four columns rising to a header at the roof line. The entrance is arched. The north and south sections project from the main building. The roof line is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed around 1821. The second courthouse was constructed by Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky in 1907 and burned on December 9, 1909. The third courthouse was designed and constructed by W K Brown who was a brick contractor, at a cost of $14,693. The Judge’s stand was built by Lafayette Worthington.
See: The architect and contractor, W K Brown & Brother, also designed and constructed the courthouse in Sequatchie County.
W – Van Buren County
Picture 1907 Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2014