Sanborn County

US States / O-U / South Dakota / Sanborn County
Sanborn

Sanborn County is named for George W Sanborn, who was a superintendent of the Milwaukee Railroad.

 

 Created:  May 1, 1883

 County Seat:                

Woonsocket  1884 – present

 

County Courthouse – Woonsocket

 

Location:  604 West 6th Street / South 3rd Avenue

Built:  1907 – 1908

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  E P Eisentraut of Sioux City, Iowa

Contractor:  Eisentraut-Coly Pottenfer Company of Sioux City Iowa

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The base of the building is gray colored stone. The south front has a protruding center section with entrance door and stone trim up to the Greek style roof. There are similar extensions on the east and west sides but without the stone trim. A white colored protruding cornice runs along the roof line. The roof line is flat. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Beadle County

E – Miner County

S – Hanson County and Davison County

W – Aurora County and Jerauld County

                       

 

 

2030nm16

County Courthouse

 

 

2029nm16

 

 

2031nm16

 

 

2033nm16

 

 

2034nm16

 

 

2037nm16

 

 

2036nm16

 

 

2035nm16

 

 

2039nm16

 

 

2040nm16

 

 

2041nm16

Photos taken 2006 and 2016