Meade County

US States / O-U / South Dakota / Meade County
Meade

Meade County is named for Fort Meade which was named after General George Meade, who was the commander of the Army of the Potomac during the Anmerican Civil War.

   

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Butte County and Perkins County

E – Ziebrach County and Haakon County

S – Pennington County

W – Lawrence County and Butte County

                                                                                   

Created :   February 7, 1889                  Map of South Dakota highlighting Meade County

 County Seat:

Sturgis  1889 – present

 

County Courthouse – Sturgis

 

Location:  1425 Sherman Street / 5th Street

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Gay and Gass

Contractor:  Brezina Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red-brown colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Sturgis.  The walls are red-brown colored with white colored cement corners and pillars. There is a white colored cement base. A large white colored concrete band surrounds the roof line. The main entrance is located on the south side of the building on the second story. The roof line is flat. In the interior ther is a spacious lobby running north-south with central stairs descending to the first story. The County Circuit Court courtroom is located along the east side of the lobby. There is a smaller courtroom located on the northeast side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 4th Judicial District and the County Magistrate Court. 

 

See:  The 4th Judicial Circuit includes Butte CountyCorson County, Dewey CountyHarding CountyLawrence CountyPerkins County and Ziebrach County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1889 and Sturgis was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was designed by J I Golbarth and constructed by William H Grams in Sturgis in 1894. The building was razed when the second and present courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965..

 

County Administration Building – Sturgis

 

0050c11

 

Location:  1300 Sherman Street / 4th Street

Built:  1900 – 1901

Style:  Modern / School

Architect:  Grams & Company.

Contractor:  Grams & Company.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red-brown colored sandstone, concrete and glass school style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Sturgis to the southeast of the courthouse.. The east front has a high square central tower with arched entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Erskine Office Building. The building was constructed as the Erskine School. Additions were constructed on the west side in 1911 and 1926. The building was purchased by the county and renovated from 2008 to 2009. The architect was Williams Associates Architects and the contractor was Ainsworth-Benning Construction Inc. of Spearfish.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the school was $10,150 and the cost of the renovation was $5,624,050.

 

 

766d23

County Courthouse – Sturgia

 

 

1144u09

 

 

 

1145u09

 

 

1146u09

 

 

768d23

 

 

1147u09

 

 

1148u09

 

 

769d23

 

 

770d23

 

 

771d23

 

 

772d23

County Circuit Court courtroom

 

 

773d23

 

 

774d23

 

 

775d23

 

 

776d23

 

 

777d23

 

 

780d23

 

 

781d23

 

 

782d23

County Circuit Court small Courtroom

 

 

784d23

 

 

785d23

 

 

786d23

 

 

787d23

 

 

1149u09

 

 

0046c11

County Administration Building – Sturgis

 

 

0049c11

 

 

0047c11

 

 

0048c11

 

 

0051c11

 

 

791d23

 

 

792d23

 

 

795d23

 

 

796d23

 

 

797d23

Commissiomner’s Meeting Room

 

 

798d23

Photos taken 2007, 3009, 2011 and 2023