Kingsbury County is named for George W Kingsbury and T A Kingsbury, who were brothers and territorial legislators.
Created: January 8, 1873
De Smet 1879 – present
County Courthouse – De Smet
Location: 202 2nd Avenue / Jolliet Avenue
Built: 1898 – 1899
Architect: W L Dow of Sioux Falls
Contractor: M E Bush
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city and has a square white colored wood dome with silver colored roof in the center. There is a porch with wood pillars underneath the second floor on the west front at the main entrance. North and south wings extend from the main building. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the west side of the second story.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Kingsbury County Courthouse
E – Brookings County
W – Beadle County
Photos taken 2007, 2009 and 2018