Jerauld County is named for H A Jerauld of Canton who was a legislator in 1883.
Created: April 17, 1883
Wessington Springs 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Wessington Springs
Location: 205 South Wallace Street / 1st Street Southeast
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Perkins & McWayne of Sioux Falls
Contractor: Majerus Company of Watertown
Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete, red colored brick and asphalt structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and the base is gray colored stone. The centre portion of the building is higher than the south and north wings. On the east front, stonework surrounds the windows. The entrance has a stone protruding portico. Broad gray colored stonework runs along the south and north roof lines. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was designed and built by Samuel Marlenee in 1885 at a cost of $2,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $131,457. Kelley Plumbing of Aberdeen did the plumbing and heating and Johnson Service Company did the temperature control. Other contracts were awarded to Crane Plumbing for plumbing fixtures, Carl Hassenstein for brick, Western Venetian Blind Company for linoleum, G & G Company for electric fixtures, Stewart Iron Works for jail fixtures and Will A Beach & Company for furniture.
E – Sanborn County
W – Buffalo County
Photos taken 2006 and 2016