Hutchinson County is named for John Hutchinson, who was the territorial secretary of the Dakota Territory.
Created: May 8, 1862
Maxwell City 1871 – 1883
Olivet 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Olivet
Location: 104 Euclid Street / 4th Avenue
Architect: Ferdinand Cash
Contractor: Ferdinand Cash .
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the tow. The original center section is light colored brick forming the center of the building with entrance portico on the south side. The roof is hipped. The courtroom is located on the west side of the central second story, In 1888, one-story, fireproof, brick vaults were built on each side of the original building, and in 1934, second story additions with flat roofs were added on both sides above the vaults. In 1967, a modern, one-story, brick wing was added to the west side of the building, and in 1975, a similar wing was added to the east.
Note: The original courthouse was built at a cost of $2,400.
New County Courthouse – Olivet
Location: 1NW 2nd Avenue / Euclid Street
Built: 2018 – 2019
Architect: Upper Deck Architects Inc.
Contractor: Puetz Corporation of Mitchell
Description: The building faces east and is a one story structure.
E – Turner County
Site of New County Courthouse
Photos taken 2007 and 2018