Custer County

US States / O-U / South Dakota / Custer County
Custer

Custer County is named for General George Armstrong Custer, who was a United States Army officer and who died at the Battle of Little Big Horn.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Pennington County

E – Pennington County and Shannon County

S – Fall River County

W – Niobrara County, Wyoming and Weston County, Wyoming

 

Created:  January 11, 1875                    Map of South Dakota highlighting Custer County

County Seat:

Custer City  1877

Hayward      1877 – 1879

Custer         1879 – present

 

County Courthouse – Custer

 

Location: 420 Mount Rushmore Road / 4th Street

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Gene Fennel and Tanya Davis of Fennel Design Inc. of Custer

Contractor:  J Scull of Rapid City

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Custer. The roof is partly hipped and flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building is a rebuilding of the 1972 – 1973 courthouse which was a one story structure.

 

Former County Courthouse – Custer

 

1293nm07

 

Location: 420 Mount Rushmore Road / 4th Street

Built:  1972 – 1973

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Bell-Galyard-Wells

Contractor:  Bell-Galyard-Wells

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story square yellow colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of  Custer and had no outside windows. The main entrance was on the north side of the building and is recessed. The roof line was flat. The building was remodeled by Gene Fennel and Tanya Davis of Fennel Design Inc. The building was razed in 2009 for the construction of the present courthouse.

 

Old County Courthouse – Custer

 

custr-o

 

Location:  411 Mount Rushmore Road / 4th Street

Built:  1880 – 1881

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  R D Jennings

Contractor:  C C Crary of Custer

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a red colored brick and wood structure. The building  is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Custer to the north of the courthouse. The building has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and balcony and three arched windows on the second story. There are east and west wings. The roof line is sloped. The bricks were made just north of Custer. The old courtroom is located on the second story. The building is now a museum.

 

History:  The first county seats were Custer City and Hayward. The county seat was moved to Custer in 1879. The first courthouse was built in 1880 to 1881 and is still standing. The second courthouse was constructed in 1972 t0 1973 and was demolished in 2009. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 2009 to 2011.

 

 

0085c11

County Courthouse – Custer

 

 

0087c11

 

 

0088c11

 

 

0089c11

 

 

0091c11

 

 

2248c15

 

 

2255c15

 

 

2256c15

 

 

2257c15

 

 

2260c15

 

 

0080c11

Old County Courthouse – Custer

 

 

0081c11

 

 

0082c11

 

 

0083c11

 

 

0084c11

Photos taken 2006, 2011 and 2015