Butte County is named for the many buttes characteristic of the region.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Harding County
Created: May 6, 1883
Minnesela 1883 – 1895
Belle Fourche 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Belle Fourche
Location: 839 South 5th Avenue / Indian Street
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Charles A Randall
Contractor: Phillips & Bartlett
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure.. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Belle Fourche. The west front has a Greek portico supported by four large stone columns with pediment above and statue of Justice at the top. On the second story is a large arched window. On the first story are small arched windows. On the center of the roof is an octagonal cupola with red colored roof. The first floor has a small rectangular entryway with a four lamp, brass and glass chandelier. The wooden staircase leading to the second floor is accented with iron grillwork with a grape leaf design. The courtroom is located on the second story and has been modified with the sound proof paneling but much of the original furniture is utilized to this day. The flooring is mainly cherry, oak and pine but has been carpeted. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 4th Judicial District and the County Magistrate Court. On the east side of the courthouse is the old County Jail constructed in 1901 to 1902 of locally quarried stone.
See: The architect, Charles A Randall, also designed the courthouse in Wyoming in Weston County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Butte County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1883 and Minnesela was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a rented premises in Minnesela in 1883. The county seat was moved to Belle Fourche in 1895 and the second courthouse which was a wood frame structure, was built. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1911 to 1912 at a cost of $26,424.51.
County Courthouse - Belle Fourche
Old County Jail - Belle Fourche
Photos taken 2007 and 2013