Williamsburg County

US States / O-U / South Carolina / Williamsburg County
Williamsburg

Williamsburg County is named for Prince William Augustus, who was the Duke of Cumberland and son of King George II of Great Britain.

 

Created:  1871

County Seat: 

Kingstree  1871 – present

 

County Courthouse – Kingstree  

 

Location: 10 Courthouse Square / West Main Street

Built: 1823 – 1824

Style: Greek Revival

Architect: Robert Mills of Charleston

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored brick and stucco structure. The building is a “T” shape with east and west wings on the south side. The building has a porch on the second story with six white columns supporting a pediment at the roof. Stairs ascend to the second story on either side of an arched entrance on the first story. The building was restored in 1883. The building was enlarged in 1901. The three story addition on the south side was built in 1953 and 1954. The architect was G Thomas Harmon of Columbia and the contractor was General Engineering Corporation. The building was restored in 2013. The architect and contractor was GMK Associates Design.

 

See:  The architect, Robert Mills of Charleston, designed courthouses in Edgefield CountyFairfield CountyGeorgetown County, Horry County, Lancaster County and Marion County.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Florence County

E – Marion County and Georgetown County

S – Berkeley County

W – Clarendon County

 

 

 

1134sc08

 

 

1135sc08

 

 

1136sc08

 

 

2494c14

 

 

2491c14

 

 

1137sc08

 

 

2499c14

 

 

1138sc08

 

 

2501c14

Photos taken 2008 and 2014