Sumter County is named for Thomas Sumter, who was a Continental leader during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: March 2, 1798
Sumter 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Sumter
Location: 141 North Main Street / East Canal Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: William August Edwards and Franck C Walter of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Morse DeLeon
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick, limestone, metal and concrete structure. The building has a large porch supported by six large white colored columns. The entrance is recessed with three large arched windows on the second story. A wide white colored header runs along the roof line with a balustrade above. The building was renovated from 1963 to 1965. The architect was James & DuRant & Associates of Sumter and the contractor was C B Askins Company of Lake City.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Jay and built in 1821. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $85,000.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Sumter County Courthouse
County Justice Center – Sumter
Location: North Harvin Street / East Canal Street
Built: 2011 – 2013
Architect: Stevens & Wilkinson, Inc.
Contractor: Thompson Turner Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a three story brick and concrete structure.
W – Richland County
Photos taken 2008 and 2014