Location: 1015 Sumter Street / Pendleton Street.
Style: Italian Renaissance Revival
Architect: Harold Tatum and Milton B Medary
Contractor: George A Fuller Company
Description: The building faces east and is a five story brick, limestone, terra cotta, granite and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the southeast side of the State Capitol. On the east side the building rises three stories at the north and south ends and rises two stories at the center section with stone facing and large steps. On the west side the building rises to five stories with a clay title hipped roof. The building is named the John C Calhoun State Office Building. The Court of Appeal moved into the building in 1988 which had been renovated. The architect was Stevens and Wilkinson.
Note: During construction, the plans were amended to include the two story addition to the west side which addition was to house the Supreme Court. The cost of construction was $799,821.
See: National Register of Historic Places – John C Calhoun State Office Building
See: The South Carolina Appeal Court is located in Richland County.
Photos taken 2008 and 2014