Pickens County is named for Andrew Pickens, who was a United States Representative.
Created: December 26, 1826
Pickens 1826 – present
County Courthouse – Pickens
Location: 214 East Main Street / Pendleton Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Townes & Murphy
Contractor: Charles J Craig Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. On the north side, the building has a large portico supported by four thin columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The doorway is framed with white colored wood. There are green colored shutters on the windows. Above the entrance is a small square white colored cupola with green colored roof. The building was expanded on the south side in 1997 with the use of light orange colored brick and concrete. The main entrance is now on the south side with a semi circular entrance section. The architect was FJ Clark Incorporated and the contractor was M B Kahn Construction Company, Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Thomas M Sloan in 18236. The previous courthouse was designed by L C Mitchum and constructed vy Robert E Bowen and Elias Day in 1891. An addition was added in 1909.
S – Anderson County
W – Oconee County
Photos taken 2008 and 2013