Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Dillon County
E – Horry County
Marion 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Marion
Location: 101 North Main Street / Godbolt Street
Built: 1852 – 1853
Style: Geogian / Greek Revival
Architect: Robert Mills of Charleston
Contractor: Peter H Hammerskold
Description: The building faces east and is a two story gray colored stone and stucco structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Marion. The building has a large portico on the east front supported by four large white colored Doric/Tuscan columns rising on the second story to a pediment. Dual wrought iron stairs are at the each end of the portico. The walls are all of handmade brick, including the gable ends of the building itself and the cornices. Thick stucco on the walls was heavily scored with lines to give the appearance of stone blocks. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the first story hallway runs east-west. On the second story is the large County Circuit Court courtroom which occupies most of the space. The courtroom contains the original pews. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 12th Judicial Circuit. In 1929, the building was remolded. And in renovated in 1977. In 1987, the building was renovated, The architect was John Califf and the contractor was Eskridge, Long & Associates, Inc. In 2013, the building was renovated. The architect was Boykin & Munnerlyn and the contractor was Harrington Construction Company, Inc. Along the west side are the red colored brick County buildings. At the center is the County Records Building (Probate Court) constructed in 1978 to 1979. The architect was Clark & McGill and the contractor was Wise Construction Company, Inc. On the south side is the Old County Records Building constructed in 1903.
Note: A distinguishing feature of the building is the graceful curving double staircase of intricately filigreed iron with the name of the craftsman, Hayward Bartlett, Baltimore, woven into the scrolls and curlicues decorating each individual step. The architectural style of the building shows the influence of Robert Mills, a prominent architect of the period and architect of many South Carolina buildings who designed courthouses in Colleton County, Edgefield County, Fairfield County, Georgetown County, Horry County, Lancaster County and Williamsburg County.
See: The 12th Judicial Circuit includes Florence County
History: The county was created in 1785 and Marion was selected as the county seat. The courthouse was not complete, so court was held in a log building on Colonel Hugh Giles plantation about two miles below Marion. The first courthouse was a wooden structure built in Marion in 1800. The building was sold and moved to the site of the First Baptist Church and converted into a dwelling. The second courthouse was built of bricks and native clay in 1823. On the site of the old Records Building. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1852 to 1853 at a cost of $12,500.
Marion County Courthouse – Marion
County Circuit Court courtroom
Records Office (Probate Court) – Marion
County Buildings on North Court Street – Marion
Old Records Building (1903) – Marion
Photos taken 2008 and 2024