Lee County is named for Robert E Lee, who was the commanding general of the Confederate forces during the American Civil War.
Created: February 25, 1902
Bishopville 1902 – present
County Courthouse – Bishopville
Location: 123 Main Street / Gregg Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William Augustus Edwards of Darlington and Frank C Walter of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Nicholas Ittner of Atlanta, Georgia
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building has a recessed porch with six columns rising to a wide header. There are large arched windows on either side of the porch and along the sides of the building. A balustrade runs along the roof. The building was renovated in 1973 to 1974.
S – Sumter County
Photos taken 2008