Kershaw County is named for Joseph Kershaw, who was a South Carolina state legislator.
Camden 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Camden
Location: 1121 North Broad Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Ralph Little and Clark, McCall and Leach of Hartsville
Contractor: C B Askins and Company of Lake City
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. Vertical white colored pillars divide the brick facing around the building which has a large overhang at the roof line. The east entrance has a divided doorway with centre panel and glass above the doorways. The base is white colored concrete. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Edwards & Walter and constructed by T C Thompson Brothers in 1906.
Old County Courthouse – Camden
Location: 607 South Broad Street / King Street
Built: 1826 – 1827
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Robert Mills of Charleston
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and stucco structure. The building has a large porch supported by four large columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof. Central steps ascend to the second story. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse until 1906.
N – Lancaster County
Photos taken 2008