Jasper County is named for William Jasper, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: January 30, 1912
Ridgeland 1912 – present
County Courthouse – Ridgeland
Location: 305 Russell Street / 2nd Avenue
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: William Augustus Edwards of Darlington
Contractor: C V York
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, concrete, iron and wood structure. The building has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns with a pediment above. There is a white colored horizontal band above the second story windows.
Note: The present courthouse is the first and only courthouse constructed in the county.
N – Hampton County
E – Beaufort County
S – Atlantic Ocean and Chatham County, Georgia
Photos taken 2008