Greenwood County is named for the Greenwood plantation which plantation belonged to Judge John McGehee.
Created: March 2, 1897
Greenwood 1897 – present
County Courthouse – Greenwood
Location: 528 Monument Street / Park Avenue
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Coleman & Townes
Contractor: C Y Thomson Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story dark brown-red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has the front extending from the main building. The first story is recessed and having glass entrances. Above, vertical brick dividers separate the white panels with narrow vertical windows above. A wide white concrete band runs along the flat roof line. Atop the roof is a gold colored raised section.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Reuben Harrison Hunt in 1898.
E – Saluda County
Photos taken 2008