Florence County is named for Florence Harllee, who was a daughter of W W Harlle, a president of the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad.
Created: December 22, 1888
Florence 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 180 Irby Street / West N Baroody Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: Gill & Wilkins
Contractor: Dargan Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a twelve story concrete and stone structure. The central tower has vertical ridges projecting from the building and vertical window dividers. The north and south wings are three stories and have similar vertical lines. The east and west entrances are glass with vertical pillars. The building also houses the offices of the City of Florence.
Note: A courthouse was designed by Bruce & Morgan and constructed by S Bounds in 1892. The previous courthouse was constructed in 1935 to 1936. The architect was Hopkins & Baker.
E – Marion County
Photos taken 2008