Dorchester County

US States / O-U / South Carolina / Dorchester County
2456C14

Dorchester County is named for the town of Dorchester in Massachusetts.

 

Created:  February 25, 1897

County Seat: 

St. George  1897 – present

 

County Courthouse – St. George

 

Location:  5200 East Jim Bilton Boulevard / Dutch Krakell Road

Built:  2007 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Stevens & Wilkinson of Columbia

Contractor:  LCM Contractors, Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building faces south and was completed in 2009. The building is located on landscaped grounds with a pond on the south side. The south front has a large portico with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line and with recessed glass paneled wall. The large windows are arched. A white colored band runs along the flat roof line. The grounds were designed by Southeastern Design & Development of Summerville.

.

Old County Courthouse – St. George

 

2461c14

 

Location:  101 Ridge Street / Railroad Avenue

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building has the center section protruding and the north and south wings being lower. The front has vertical white square columns rising to a wide band below the eaves. The wings has white colored stone corner pieces.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was constructed in 1898 and an addition was designed by Charles C Wilson in 1922.

 

County Administration – St. George

 

0094sc08

 

Location:  201 Johnson Street / Ridge Street

Built:  1927 – 1928

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  J B Urquhart

Contractor:  J T Dubbs

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was constructed as the St. George High School. The east and west wings project from the main section of the building. On the north side is the modern one story complex which was the Sr. George Elementary School constructed in 1972. The architect was James Durrant of James & Matthews of Sumter and the contractor was W E Tulluck, Inc. or Orangeburg. On the north side is the modern Kenneth F Wagoner Service Center constructed in 2001. The architect was John G Dumas of Southeastern Design and Development, In. and the contractor was Martin Engineering Inc..

 

Courthouses: 

N – Orangeburg County

E – Berkeley County and Charleston County

S – Charleston County

W – Colleton County

 

 

 

2451c14

 

 

2452c14

 

 

2453c14

 

 

2454c14

 

 

2457c14

 

 

2458c14

 

 

2459c14

 

 

0085sc08

 

 

0087sc08

 

 

2463c14

 

 

2464c14

 

 

2466c14

 

 

2467c14

 

 

 

 

0088sc08

 

 

0092sc08

 

 

0093sc08

 

 

2471c14

 

 

2472c14

 

 

2474c14

 

 

2473c14

Photos taken 2008 and 2014