Darlington County is named for Darlington, a city in England. Great Britain.
Created: March 12, 1875
Darlington 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Darlington
Location: 1 Public Square / Pearl Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Gyles, Basset, Clarke & Wolf
Contractor: General Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a six story brick, concrete, stone and glass structure. The base has large stone faced arches with the entrances being recessed. Narrow vertical bands divide the narrow vertical windows and buff brick vertical bands. The top of the building is faced with light stone. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Edwards & Walter and constructed by DeLeon & Lopez in 1903 to 1904.
E – Marlboro County
S – Florence County
Photos taken 2008