Colleton County is named for John Colleton, who was one of the Lords Proprietors of the Province of Carolina.
Jacksonboro 1800 – 1817
Walterboro 1817 – present
County Courthouse – Waterboro
Location: 101 Hampton Street / North Jefferies Boulevard
Built: 1820 – 1822
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Robert Mills of Charleston and William Jay
Contractor: William N Thompson
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick and stucco structure. The building has a projecting higher center section with a portico having arches on the first story and supported by four large columns on the second story. Stairs on either side of the portico ascend to the second story. In 1843 to 1844, the building was reconstructed. The contractor was Jonathan Lucas and Benjamin Lucas. New additions were made to this building. The west wing was added in 1916. Then, in 1937 to 1939, the Works Progress Administration covered the west wing with brick, added a new east wing, built an addition to the north entrance and remodeled the interior. The building was restored in 2007. The architect was Stevens & Wilkinson and the contractor was Blanchard Construction.
Photos taken 2008