Clarendon County is named for Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, who was one of the Lords Proprietors of the Province of South Carolina.
Created: December 19, 1855
Manning 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Union
Location: 3 West Keitt Street / South Mill Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Shand & Lafaye Architects
Contractor: T Jones Associates.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building has a large portico supported by four large columns rising to a wide brick and stone header. A projecting cornice runs below the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building was restored in 1969. The architect was James & DuRant, Inc & Associates and the contractor was Boyle Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1878.
Photos taken 2008