Chesterfield County is named for Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield.
Created: March 2, 1785
Chesterfield 1785 – present
County Courthouse – Chesterfield
Location: 200 West Main Street / Mill Street
Built: 1976 – 1977
Architect: Witherspoon, Patterson and Knowland
Contractor: Barger Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The south one story section is solid brick with no windows. On the south wall is a large county seal. The central two story section is higher and extends out towards the east and west wings with glass walls on the south side at the entrances. The entrance lobby has a skylight at the top of the second story. An addition was added in 2006 to 2007. The architect was Boykin and Munnerlyn of Camden and the contractor was P F and Perry L Mungo, Inc. of Columbia.
Note: The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $1,000,000. The cost of the the 2007 addition was $300,000.
Old County Courthouse – Chesterfield
Location: 100 East Main Street / Green Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Architect: Robert Mills of Charleston
Description: The building faces south and is a two story reddish colored brick structure. The building has a partly enclosed brick portico on the second story, with steps descending on the east and west sides. The first story has a stone framed entrance below the portico. The windows have segmental brick arches. Atop the portico is a pediment. On the center of the roof is a large square white cupola with steep roof. In 1935 a brick entrance porch and a two story rear addition were added under the Works Progress Administration. The building now serves as the Visitor Center. Across the street is the old two story red colored brick jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1786. The second courthouse was designed by Robert Mills of Charleston and constructed by John Chapman in 1825 to 1829. The courthouse was burned by Union Troops on march 2, 1865. Court was held for a brief time at the residence of David Jackson. The courthouse was rebuilt using the plans of Robert Mills.
E – Marlboro County
Photos taken 2008 and 2014