Berkeley County is named for John Berkeley and William Berkeley, who were two of the Lords Proprietors of the Province of Carolina.
Created: January 31, 1882
Mount Pleasant 1682 – 1895
Monck’s Corner 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Monck’s Corner
Location: 300 California Avenue / Broughton Road
Built: 1896 – 1897
Style: Federal Revival
Architect: Andrew J Bryan of Atlanta, Georgia
Contractor: Knoxville Building and Construction Company of Knoxville. Tennessee
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The central entrance has a small pediment above the doorway. The building has vertical white colored piasters rising to a pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. A modern addition constructed of red colored brick and concrete has been added on the east side in 1990. The south side of the addition has a two story white colored concrete porch with stairs to the second story and pitched roof. The corners of the building have vertical windows and the roof line is flat. The architect was LS3P Associates, Ltd. and the contractor was Threatt Michael of Greenville.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse in 1896 was $4500 and the building had a portico with four large columns.
County Administration – Monck’s Corner
Location: 223 North Live Oak Drive / Manor Drive
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a central section which rises above the east and west wings. There is a canopy supported by four pillars. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Berkeley County Office Building.
Photos taken 2008 and 2014