Beaufort County

US States / O-U / South Carolina / Beaufort County
2430C14

Beaufort County is named for Henry Duke of Beaufort, who was one of the Lords Proprietors of the Province of Carolina.

 

Created:  July 29, 1769

County Seat: 

Beaufort  1769 – present

 

County Courthouse – Beaufort  

 

Location:  102 Ribaut Road / Boundary Street

Built:  1987 – 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  John Brown of Harwood Beebe Architects

Contractor:  Construction Control Corporation of Columbia

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is part of the Multi Government Center located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building was substantially remodeled in 2012 to 2014. The building has a projecting center section with rectangular openings along the first story. On the second story are three large windows with two columns. On either side are double arched windows. The roof is hipped. The architect was Glick Boehn Architects of Charleston and the contractor was Fraser Construction Company of Bluffton.

 

0171sc08

Courthouse before remodeling in 2012

 

Note:  The government Complex is located on the site of the Robert Smalls School facility which operated from 1925 to 1965. The building in 1990 was a two story yellow colored stucco and concrete structure. The building faced east with arched openings along the first story. The central entrance projects with a high portico supported by four concrete pillars with thin columns rising on the second story to a large pediment. On either side of the entrance, the building is recessed behind more thin columns. The roof line was flat.

 

Old County Courthouse – Beaufort  

 

0178sc08

 

Location:  1501 Bay Street / Monson Street

Built:  1881 – 1883

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Robert McGrath of Augusta, Georgia

Contractor:  William F Bowe

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story concrete and stone structure. The building was remodeled in 1936 changing the style to Art Deco. The architect was Joseph W Cunningham. An addition was constructed in 1984. In 1994, the building became a United States Court House as the County Court had moved to the Multi Government Center.

 

County Administration – Beaufort  

 

2420c14

 

Location:  100 Ribaut Road / Boundary Street

Built:  1988 – 1990

Style:  Modern

Architect:  John Brown of Harwood Beebe Architects

Contractor:  Construction Control Corporation of Columbia

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two yellow colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is part of the County Government Complex. The north front has a central entrance with arch on the first story. The second story has a recessed section with four thin columns. The roof is peaked on the east and west sides. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Hampton County and Colleton County

E – Colleton County and Atlantic Ocean

S – Atlantic Ocean 

W – Jasper County

 

 

 

2428c14

 

 

2431c14

 

 

2433c14

 

 

2436c14

 

 

2441c14

 

 

0172sc08

Courthouse before 2012

 

 

0173sc08

 

 

0174sc08

 

 

0177sc08

 

 

0176sc08

 

 

0179sc08

 

 

2443c14

 

 

2445c14

 

 

2446c14

 

 

2447c14

 

 

2448c14

 

 

2449c14

 

 

2450c14

 

 

2419c14

 

 

2421c14

 

 

2422c14

 

 

2423c14

 

 

2425c14

 

 

2427c14

Photos taken 2008 and 2014