Bamberg County

US States / O-U / South Carolina / Bamberg County
Bamberg

Bamberg County is named for William Seaborn Bamberg, who was a co-founder of a town called Lowery’s Turnout, or for General Francis M. Bamberg.

 

Created:  February 25, 1897

County Seat: 

Bamberg  1897 – present

 

County Courthouse – Bamberg  

 

Location:  2959 Main Highway / 2nd Street

Built:  1897 – 1898

Style:  Federal Revival

Architect:  L F Goodrich

Contractor:  Rounds & Haigler

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building has a projecting center section with the entrance and white colored vertical bands rising to the pediment at the roof line. There are white colored panels between the first and second story windows. The building is in the form an “H”. The original building was located south of the railway and moved in 1952 to the present site. Additions were added to the front and rear of the original building. The building was renovated in 1950.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Barnwell County and Orangeburg County

E – Orangeburg County

S – Colleton County and Hampton County

W – Allendale County and Barnwell County 

 

 

 

0122sc08

 

 

0123sc08

Photos taken 2008