Anderson County is named for Robert Anderson, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 26, 1826
Anderson 1826 – present
Old County Courthouse – Anderson
Location: 101 South Main Street / East Whitner Street
Built: 1897 – 1898
Style: Victorian and Romanesque
Architect: Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC
Contractor: W D Carson
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a high square brick tower with three arched windows on the third story and clock at the top. The base of the building is stone. The building has a red colored title roof. During construction, W P Snelgrove was the supervisor.An addition was added on the east side in 1939 to 1940. The building was renovated in 1992.
Note: The bell in the bell tower was cast in 1856 at Troy, North Carolina and the bell was previously in the old courthouse constructed in 1828. In 2000, an electronic carillon was installed in the bell tower. The courthouse construction was $26,000 and the plans from the Forsyth, North Carolina Courthouse were purchased for $50. The Wilkes County, Georgia, courthouse used the same plans.
See: The architect Frank Pierce Milburn of Washington, DC.
County Courthouse – Anderson
Location: 100 South Main Street / West Whitner Street
Built: 1989 – 1991
Architect: Frank J Clark of FJ Clark, Inc.
Contractor: M B Kahn Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red and pink colored stone, glass and concrete structure. The building faces onto Courthouse Square. The building is tiered with the highest point being above the central entrance. The central entrance projects from the main building and has a large concrete portico rising to the third story and with recessed entrance. The roof is sloped.
S – Abbeville County
Photos taken 2008 and 2013