Aiken County is named for William Aiken, who was a Governor of South Carolina.
Created: March 10, 1871
Aiken 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Aiken
Location: 109 Park Avenue SE / Chesterfield Street South
Built: 1881 – 1882
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Robert N McGrath
Contractor: J W Woodward of Barnwell County
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building has a portico on the north front with four large columns rising to a pediment and peaked roof behind. The lower part of portico has narrow arches, an entrance and a staircase rising on either side. The second story has double arched windows on either side of the portico. On the center of the roof is a square white colored dome rising to an octagonal with small cupola at the top. In 1934, the building was remodeled and enlarged. The architect was Willis Irvin of Augusta and the contractor was F E Stiefel. The building was remodeled in 1954. In July 1981, the bell tower was struck by lightening. An addition was added on the east side in 1984 to 1986. The architect was Wells, Law & Associates Inc. and the contractor was L Adams Construction Company Inc.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $12,733. The contract for construction was signed on January 18, 1881 and is 13 handwritten pages. In 1934, the cost of remodeling the building was $70,000.
History: The first courthouse was constructed by William Gregg Jr. in 1872 at 320 Colleton Avenue and known as Elm Court. The building was destroyed by fire on January 25, 1970. The second courthouse was constructed in 1881 to 1882.
County Administration – Aiken
Location: 1930 University Parkway / Grand Oaks Way
Built: 2012 – 2014
Architect: McMillan Pazdan Smith Architects of Greenville
Contractor: BE & H Building Group of Greenville
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure.
Old County Administration – Aiken
Location: 828 Richland Avenue West / Fauburg Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is “T” shaped with a central wing extending north. The south front has a central projecting entrance on the first story with two white colored columns. A horizontal belt runs above the second story and third story windows. The third story has a projecting eave at the roof line. The north and south wings are two stories. The building has a flat roof line. The building was constructed as a hospital and expanded in 1949. In 1976, the building became the county administration building until 2014. The building stands empty.
W – Richmond County, Georgia
Photos taken 2008 and 2014