Somerset County is named for Somerset Shire in England.
Created: March 26, 1804
Somerset 1804 – present
County Courthouse – Somerset
Location: 111 East Union Street / North Center Avenue
Built: 1904 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts and Classical Renaissance Revival
Architect: J C Fulton of Uniontown
Contractor: Caldwell and Drake of Columbus, Indiana
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Indiana gray colored limestone structure. The south front has a large semicircular portico supported by six columns rising to a balcony at the third story. The center section extends from the main building and has two portal windows on the second story and three entrance doors on the first story. On the center of the roof is a large copper dome with small cupola at the top. The roof line is flat with a stone balustrade. The building was renovated in 2003. The architect was Celli Flynn Brennan and the contractor was P J Dick Incorporated.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1801. The second courthouse was built by Samuel S Benson in 1853.
County Administration – Somerset
Location: 300 North Center Avenue / East Fairview Street
Built: 1998 – 1999
Architect: Eads Architects, Inc.
Contractor: P J Dick Incorporated
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Indiana limestone and glass structure. The south front has a one story portico at the entrance. Above the portico is a large window rising to a peak at the roof line. The roof line is flat.
N – Cambria County
E – Bedford County
Photos taken 2011