Schuylkill County is named for the Schuylkill River which is named for the Dutch word meaning “hidden river”.
Created: March 1, 1811
Orwigsburg 1811 – 1850
Pottsville 1850 – present
County Courthouse - Pottsville
Location: 401 North Second Street / Sanderson Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival
Architect: Milton Earl Beebe of Buffalo, New York
Contractor: R B Taylor of Butler.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a five story Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival style structure. The building faces south and was completed in 1893. The building is located on a hill overlooking the town center. The building is constructed with Cleveland (Ohio) sandstone and has a central projecting section with entrance and large fanlight on the first story. At the roof line is a pediment. The corner sections project and rise to white colored spires. There are dormers along the hipped roof. On the center of the roof is a large square tower with large clock at the top. An addition was constructed in 1933. The architect was Eric Fisher Wood. On the north side is the old stone gaol.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Orwigsburg in 1815 at a cost of $5000. The first courthouse in Pottsville was built in 1851. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $320,000.
S – Berks County
Photos taken 2015